Main Menu
Getz & Braverman, P.C.
Getz &
Braverman, P.C.

Personal Injury Cases And Criminal Defense In The Bronx

Call Us First. You'll Be Glad You Did.
click here to call now
718-618-5567 Free Consultations

Available 24 Hours Daily Se Habla Español

Located Across The Street From All Bronx Courts And Two Blocks From Yankee Stadium 172 East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451

We Treat You Like A Friend Of The Family.

Handling Criminal Defense And Personal Injury Cases In The Bronx

Personal Injury Archives

Gas leak causes fireman's death in the Bronx

The tragic death on Sept. 27th of NYFD Battalion Chief Michael Fahy in the Bronx is a powerful reminder of how dangerous gas leaks in your home or work can be. The rising star of New York's bravest was standing on the street outside a two-story row house on W. 234th St. supervising the evacuation of the home following the report of a gas leak.

Gas leak causes fireman's death in the Bronx

The tragic death on Sept. 27th of NYFD Battalion Chief Michael Fahy in the Bronx is a powerful reminder of how dangerous gas leaks in your home or work can be. The rising star of New York's bravest was standing on the street outside a two-story row house on W. 234th St. supervising the evacuation of the home following the report of a gas leak.

Preventing elder abuse in nursing homes

Because of their age and their inability to fully care for themselves, the elderly are susceptible to many forms of elder abuse in nursing homes. They can be subjected to physical abuse, neglect, emotional abuse and more. Although it is impossible to always be by their side, there are some precautions you can take to ensure that your loved one is safe and properly cared for at all times. 

NYPD's use of restraining bags draws scrutiny

A recent viral video has drawn attention to the New York Police Department's use of mesh restraining bags to prevent people who are mentally ill or under the influence of drugs from violently acting out when they are being taken into police custody. The ventilated bags contain several carrying handles for police to manually lift the constrained body to transport into custody. Once in the bag, suspects cannot move until they are removed from the restraining device.

Falls in nursing homes: Three common causes

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that approximately 1,800 people that live in nursing homes die every year from injuries suffered due to a fall. A variety of causes can contribute to these accidents, but the agency reports that three most common causes are:

New York City jail system sees increase in personal injury claims

We have heard a lot of very troubling stories about police brutality on the streets of New York City as well as across the country. Unfortunately, these are not the only incidences that have become concerning to the citizens of New York. A recent news article pointed out the increase in personal injury claims that are coming from New York City correctional facilities such as Rikers.

Are "granny cams" in nursing homes effective?

Cameras and monitoring equipment are prevalent in many industries and workplaces. Stores have long used closed-circuit cameras to monitor shoppers for theft and other misbehavior, for example. Even in our personal lives, we may use cameras to help increase our safety. For example, bicyclists can use Go Pros to help monitor and prevent bike accidents. Parents can now buy "nanny cams" to ensure their children are safe while they are away.

What you should know about police misconduct/brutality

Stories of police officers wrongfully killing or beating suspects are commonplace in the news nowadays, which comes as no surprise to us. Every day (not every other day -- every single day), someone walks into our office with a complaint about police misconduct. If you have been hurt by an encounter with a police officer, you are not alone.

DUI ignition interlock requirements may not be properly enforced

While legislators pursue a number of remedies designed to reduce drunk driving on our roads, such efforts turn out not always to be successful. For example, New York passed a law in 2010 requiring individuals convicted of misdemeanor or felony drunk driving to install DWI ignition devices. While judges have entered orders requiring drivers to install these devices, it appears only 26 percent of such devices actually were installed during the past year.

Have You Been Injured?

Fill Out This Form And We Will Get Back To You Right Away

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Frequently Asked Questions Personal Injury In New York City

    • Q: I've been injured — now what? A: First, see an experienced doctor. Your injuries should be taken care of before you even consider making a claim against someone for causing them. Make sure you are receiving top-quality health care. Keep all information from medical visits — good records of your injury and your treatments are vital for your case if you decide to pursue legal action. Then, call us to schedule your free consultation.
    • How long can I wait before I file a claim for my personal injury? You should seek help with your claim immediately. Depending on the state you live in, most cases must be filed within four years of the accident, but the sooner you contact us, the sooner we can help you build a strong legal claim. If you've been denied Social Security or disability benefits, your appeal must be filed soon after you receive your denial notification. Call us for assistance and an assessment of your case.
    • I was in an accident without insurance. Can you help me? We would need to assess your case. Our assessment might lead us to conclude that the vehicle you were driving was at fault, or perhaps the road conditions were hazardous. We would also need to assess all of the claims against you as the alleged negligent driver. Call us today for your free assessment.
    • A giant commercial truck/semi hit me, and I was injured/my children were injured/other people in my car were injured. What can I do? Large trucking companies have teams of lawyers at the ready to help them minimize payment or avoid paying you for the damage their driver caused you. You need to call us to help you get what you deserve from the company for your injuries, pain and suffering, damage to your vehicle, and any injuries to people riding in your car. To protect your rights, an independent investigation must be executed as soon as possible.
    • If I get hurt on the job, what should I do? Tell your supervisor or someone in your human resources department immediately, and then get help with your injuries. It's imperative that you file a report about the accident with your employer, or you may be denied any disability or workers' compensation benefits for your injuries. Then, file your workers' compensation documents according to your company's guidelines. If you are turned down, give us a call to get your case assessed. We'll help you get the compensation you deserve for injuries on the job.
    • What should I do if I was injured on a construction site? You should take the same steps as anyone injured at any other job. File an injury report and file for workers' compensation benefits. If you are denied benefits or mistreated by your employer, contact our law firm immediately. Also, contact us immediately if your injury might have been caused by a party other than your employer such as a product manufacturer or another party on a construction site. You might have an underlying personal injury claim.
    • If medical treatment was unsuccessful or caused my condition to worsen, do I have a medical malpractice case? Not all instances of poor medical outcomes are medical malpractice. It is important to speak with an experienced attorney about your specific circumstances.
    • If injured in a police misconduct/brutality incident, what should be done? Get names of witnesses. Take photos of injuries. Get immediate professional medical attention. Contact our Bronx-based police brutality attorney today.
    • What actions should I NOT take when speaking with a police officer? Don't say, "I know my rights," "I'm going to file a complaint/sue" or "I pay your salary." Don't resist or fight if you're going to be arrested even if the cop is wrong, or he or she doesn't tell you why.
    • What should you do in the event of police misconduct/brutality? Note the date, time and location of the incident. Note — but do not ask for — the name, badge or car number of the officers involved. Note the physical description of the officers.
    • What should you do when confronted by a police officer? Stay calm and be courteous. Don't be rude or curse at the officer. Take off your headset or turn down your music. If asked, give your name and address. You don't have to answer any other questions. Tell the officer(s) that you would like to exercise your right to attorney representation.
    • Contact a civil rights attorney or group immediately. If criminally charged, don't speak until you've consulted a defense attorney. What steps should be taken after experiencing police misconduct/brutality?
We Can Help Email Us Now
172 East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.

Located Across The Street From All Bronx Courts And Two Blocks From Yankee Stadium

Back to top