Main Menu
Getz & Braverman, P.C.
Getz &
Braverman, P.C.

Personal Injury Cases And Criminal Defense In The Bronx

Call Us First. You'll Be Glad You Did.
click here to call now
718-618-5567 Free Consultations

Available 24 Hours Daily Se Habla Español

Located Across The Street From All Bronx Courts And Two Blocks From Yankee Stadium 172 East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451

We Treat You Like A Friend Of The Family.

Handling Criminal Defense And Personal Injury Cases In The Bronx

Wrongfully convicted NY father laments lost time

A father of five had his life ripped apart when he was wrongfully convicted of the brutal hammer attack against his wife that left her so injured she now has to live in a nursing home. The couple had five young children, ranging in age from just 1-9 years old, at the time of the attack in 1996.

New York State Troopers arrested the man and endlessly interrogated him for hours. The man was so mentally exhausted from the endless hours of questioning without sleep that he falsely confessed to the attack even though he was innocent. This is not an uncommon phenomenon. That coerced confession led to a conviction on charges of attempted murder.

While the innocent father was in prison, the wife’s family made her divorce the man, and the man only saw his children a handful of times until his release in Aug. 2005 when the real attacker confessed his guilt in the crime. Even though the man was freed after maintaining his innocence for years, being in prison and absent from his children’s lives exacted a high toll.

The man says that he is unable to trust anyone after he was so wronged by the justice system. Living in survival mode behind bars for so many years has hardened the man. For his wrongful imprisonment, the state is set to compensate the man $5.5 million, barring appeal.

He testified in that trial concerning his wrongful imprisonment, “I’m a very angry, depressed person. I don’t trust anybody. I don’t want to be around anybody. I don’t have a very good relationship with my kids. I mean, my whole life is a wreck.”

With the compensation that the man is set to receive, he plans on taking a vacation, building a new home and then using the rest to set up trust funds for his five children. He hopes that his grandchildren will never have to worry about college expenses.

However, the man says that he would trade every penny that the state of New York could give him in order to have the time back with his children, and still be the trusting man he once was. A strong defense is paramount to avoiding being wrongly convicted. Ultimately, no amount of money can make right what this man went through.

The criminal justice system can trap innocent and unknowing individuals. An attorney can ensure that an individual has their rights maintained and that an individual under suspicion is not coerced into a false confession.

Source:, “Wrongly imprisoned nearly a decade, father plays catch-up with his five kids,” John O’Brien, May 12, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have You Been Injured?

Fill Out This Form And We Will Get Back To You Right Away

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Frequently Asked Questions Personal Injury In New York City

    • Q: I've been injured — now what? A: First, see an experienced doctor. Your injuries should be taken care of before you even consider making a claim against someone for causing them. Make sure you are receiving top-quality health care. Keep all information from medical visits — good records of your injury and your treatments are vital for your case if you decide to pursue legal action. Then, call us to schedule your free consultation.
    • How long can I wait before I file a claim for my personal injury? You should seek help with your claim immediately. Depending on the state you live in, most cases must be filed within four years of the accident, but the sooner you contact us, the sooner we can help you build a strong legal claim. If you've been denied Social Security or disability benefits, your appeal must be filed soon after you receive your denial notification. Call us for assistance and an assessment of your case.
    • I was in an accident without insurance. Can you help me? We would need to assess your case. Our assessment might lead us to conclude that the vehicle you were driving was at fault, or perhaps the road conditions were hazardous. We would also need to assess all of the claims against you as the alleged negligent driver. Call us today for your free assessment.
    • A giant commercial truck/semi hit me, and I was injured/my children were injured/other people in my car were injured. What can I do? Large trucking companies have teams of lawyers at the ready to help them minimize payment or avoid paying you for the damage their driver caused you. You need to call us to help you get what you deserve from the company for your injuries, pain and suffering, damage to your vehicle, and any injuries to people riding in your car. To protect your rights, an independent investigation must be executed as soon as possible.
    • If I get hurt on the job, what should I do? Tell your supervisor or someone in your human resources department immediately, and then get help with your injuries. It's imperative that you file a report about the accident with your employer, or you may be denied any disability or workers' compensation benefits for your injuries. Then, file your workers' compensation documents according to your company's guidelines. If you are turned down, give us a call to get your case assessed. We'll help you get the compensation you deserve for injuries on the job.
    • What should I do if I was injured on a construction site? You should take the same steps as anyone injured at any other job. File an injury report and file for workers' compensation benefits. If you are denied benefits or mistreated by your employer, contact our law firm immediately. Also, contact us immediately if your injury might have been caused by a party other than your employer such as a product manufacturer or another party on a construction site. You might have an underlying personal injury claim.
    • If medical treatment was unsuccessful or caused my condition to worsen, do I have a medical malpractice case? Not all instances of poor medical outcomes are medical malpractice. It is important to speak with an experienced attorney about your specific circumstances.
    • If injured in a police misconduct/brutality incident, what should be done? Get names of witnesses. Take photos of injuries. Get immediate professional medical attention. Contact our Bronx-based police brutality attorney today.
    • What actions should I NOT take when speaking with a police officer? Don't say, "I know my rights," "I'm going to file a complaint/sue" or "I pay your salary." Don't resist or fight if you're going to be arrested even if the cop is wrong, or he or she doesn't tell you why.
    • What should you do in the event of police misconduct/brutality? Note the date, time and location of the incident. Note — but do not ask for — the name, badge or car number of the officers involved. Note the physical description of the officers.
    • What should you do when confronted by a police officer? Stay calm and be courteous. Don't be rude or curse at the officer. Take off your headset or turn down your music. If asked, give your name and address. You don't have to answer any other questions. Tell the officer(s) that you would like to exercise your right to attorney representation.
    • Contact a civil rights attorney or group immediately. If criminally charged, don't speak until you've consulted a defense attorney. What steps should be taken after experiencing police misconduct/brutality?
We Can Help Email Us Now
172 East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.

Located Across The Street From All Bronx Courts And Two Blocks From Yankee Stadium

Back to top